<$BlogRSDUrl$>

less charming and more strange than your average blog

November 24, 2003

Just say yes to drugs 

There was a drug bust at my old high school last week.

I remember being in high school and how it would make me feel when things like this happened. It was never sobering, or scary, or shocking; instead, I would somehow hope that this disruption in the soul-sapping routine of everyday high school life would put an end to it completely, as if the administrators would somehow decide that the school year could no longer continue after such an anomaly.

In other words, it was exciting! It was exciting to imagine that even a single day of school might be cancelled over...anything. I guess I figured that if the chain of miserable day after miserable day was suddenly and unexpectedly broken, it wouldn't know how to repair itself. It didn't make a whole lot of sense.

And it wasn't just drug busts: snow, earthquakes, thunderstorms, a power outage for any reason -- they would all inspire this bizarre conviction in me that they wouldn't make us go back to business as usual after something like this, right? Of course, they always did. And right up until my last day of high school, I continued to cling to the hope that maybe school would be cancelled tomorrow because a strong wind blew over some of our lawn chairs last night.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?