<$BlogRSDUrl$>

less charming and more strange than your average blog

November 21, 2003

Tell it, Pauline Kael 

"The movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we might as well stop going."

This quote from Kael was used in Roger Ebert's review of Gothika, and when I become president of the MPAA (die, Jack Valenti, die!), I will make it our official motto. This doesn't even make me want to see Gothika particularly, but I strongly appreciate the sentiment. (Er, of the quote, not the new Halle Berry thriller.) I just think that if it's gonna be bad, it's gotta be good, you know?

Actually, this issue is more strongly related to an article from Time that denounces book snobs for insisting on a thick black line between "high" and "low" literature as opposed to simply "good" or "bad." So I'm adding, "Down with movie snobs!" to the battle cry, because while "good" and "artsy" both have their benefits, I don't believe they're synonyms.

I'm telling you this mostly because I rented View from the Top two weeks ago and I ENJOYED IT AND I'M NOT SORRY.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?