<$BlogRSDUrl$>

less charming and more strange than your average blog

December 05, 2003

The crunch 

It's that magical time of year once again. If you think I'm referring to the Christmas season, you're wrong. I'm talking about autumn finals. You know, that magical time of year. The one where you don't sleep and are constantly fighting the urge to hurl yourself off a cliff, except that there aren't really any cliffs around here, so the extra work it would require to find one isn't even worth it?

Autumn finals are, in my opinion, the worst of them all. Winter and spring finals are by no means a big gay walk in the park or whatever, but when December rolls around, and there is something like 20 minutes between sunrise and sunset (if you're lucky enough to see any sun at all), I just want to crawl into bed and hibernate. I would leave a note on my door that said, "DO NOT WAKE ME UP UNLESS IT IS FOR CHRISTMAS, GOOD SEX, OR POSSIBLY A NICE SANDWICH."

Some people argue that spring finals are worse because you are mere weeks away from months of being able to put your brain in a drawer and not take it out again until school starts in September, but luckily I am a lazy bastard and hate outdoor activities, so I am not the least bit eager to get out and run around in the beautiful sunshine that teases others from out the window.

I stayed up until 2:30 AM last night writing a dialogue-free Absurdist play in one act. It ended with everyone onstage shooting themselves in the head. Hopefully, this kind of cop-out will appear to be absolute genius when viewed in the context of Absurdism. This weekend, I still have to write a play analysis paper, throw together a 15-minute surrealist/expressionist film (the fact that we, as yet, have no camera or script will hopefully not prove to be too much of a hurdle), and write an essay for my exchange application explaining why exactly I deserve to study abroad. For reasons I still do not understand, "BECAUSE I HAVE THE MONEY" is apparently not an acceptable justification.

It's cold, dark, and wet outside nearly 24 hours a day now. For me, the magical part of this time of year is when these miserable properties suddenly become positive the moment I'm able to stop worrying about school, eat everything in the house, cover myself in blankets, and concentrate on enjoying the company of my friends and family until the new year.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?