<$BlogRSDUrl$>

less charming and more strange than your average blog

January 22, 2004

R-E-A-D spells books! 

Yesterday I was so frustrated trying to make sense of my film theory readings that I felt like throwing up. Perhaps that was due to the bad sandwich I had just consumed. That doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't have killed Eisenstein to tighten it up a little. So I asked David to try reading a page to see if he could understand what it meant. This was kind of a heartless thing to do, because it could only have ended in David feeling stupid and me feeling better because David was feeling stupid. But sometimes you just have to put yourself first. He couldn't make any sense of it either, so I took it as a sign from God that I should be taking a nap instead of studying.

Other reading: I'm done with The Storyteller and Yvain, now moving on to One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes. I'm also simultaneously immersed in Naked and I Capture the Castle.

Also, I'm trying very hard to catch up on my Entertainment Weeklys. Reading a cover story on Jessica Simpson is painful, but necessary if I'm not to lose my pop culture bearings while spending so much time with my nose buried in more respectable texts. Hey, how stupid does Halle Berry look as Catwoman on last week's cover? See, I need to study up if I'm going to be able to answer that question if someone asks me. I believe that's easily just as important as French epic poetry.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?