<$BlogRSDUrl$>

less charming and more strange than your average blog

February 18, 2004

"The same sweltering morning that Beatriz Viterbo died, after an imperious confrontation with her illness in which she had never for an instant stooped to either sentimentality or fear, I noticed that a new advertisement for some cigarettes or other (blondes, I believe they were) had been posted on the iron billboards of the Plaza Constitucion; the fact deeply grieved me, for I realized that the vast unceasing universe was already growing away from her, and that this change was but the first in an infinite series."

This is the first sentence from the short story The Aleph by Jorge Luis Borges, which I read for my comparative literature class last week. I'm posting for no other reason than because I think it's a stunning opening sentence and I've been thinking about it ever since I read it.

The end.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?